Friday, September 5, 2008

Pet Fish

Last month, I started playing a massively multiplayer online game. No, I'm not talking about WoW. I'm talking about Ikariam, which is a free browser game.


I've heard it compared to Utopia, or (offline) Civ or Sim City. I wouldn't really know, since I didn't play any of those. Ikariam is, to wit: a city-building resource management game, with some pretense at having some combat. It's technically real time, but most people wouldn't recognize it as such since it's so slooow in execution.

In any case, Ikariam is pretty fun for what it is. Making your town expand is reasonably fun, and it has a better interface than I expected. The real failing is that military adventures are pretty useless. On one hand, this is a good thing in an introductory mmo-town game, since I was able to learn comfortably, at my own pace. On the other hand, it might as well be a single player game. I guess some people like that though! Overall, it can be a bit boring, but still less boring than work so that's alright.

Just last week, I joined Travian (speed server), which is pretty much like Ikariam. However, I was promised faster gameplay and more combat. Well... it delivers!

The gameplay is fast, particularly on the first day. You have to note that after a month of Ikariam, you're kind of used to playing for 10 minuites, twice a day. In contrast, the first three hours of Travian are continuous. This is (probably) not something you want do at work.

Combat is also relatively prominent. Attacks come in often, and it can be discouraging to see three hours worth of production taken away by a handful of units. On the other hand, there are ways to just turtle in and weather attacks (Cranny rulez!). This is made more interesting by the fact that there are three races to choose from (Romans, Gauls, and Teutons), and each has their own relatively unique tech tree. Of course, at this point I'm not really qualified to comment on combat since I'm just starting to build my own army. Overall, I'm enjoying this.

No comments: