Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Toy Soldiers

2009: For the past month, I've been jonesing for a miniature wargame. Minis are relatively expensive, but they count as both a toy and a game, so it's like, double good. For all its flaws, I loved Mageknight, and I wanted to find something that would scratch the same itch.

I was well primed, then, when Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier caught my eye. I'd passed over it before, due to it getting tepid ratings. To be fair, the biggest complaint seemed to be that the poor tutorial made for a steep learning curve - but I already know how to play. So, I gave it a go.

It's pretty good! The action and fatigue system is relatively unique to Mageknight, and is a good change of pace from the usual j-S-RPG. The old complaints about melee have been heard - apparently MK2.0 introduced a couple of univeral melee abilities that give more balance. Time limits and special scenarios keep the game fast and fresh. On the other hand, the graphics are a little old, and there's no multiplayer. The stylus controls are intuitve, but spottily programmed. My biggest problem though, is that these little plastic men are, in the end, just virtual - it doesn't count as a toy.

It's good nostalgia. I'd put hours and hours into Mageknight... if Tesla didn't keep grabbing the DS to play this:

No comments: